Friday, October 2, 2009

Need a little help.

I need some help with a little project. I'm compilling a list of baseball players with who had interesting off-field events happen to them while they were in the minors. Events such as overcoming a death of a loved one, addiction, off season jobs, interesting route's to the big leagues, jail, etc. The bad stuff always seems to get in the news, such as addiction, but I'm curious to hear about some good stories that I may have missed. For example, has a minor league baseball player ever saved a child from a burning building.... that type of stuff.

These things HAVE have happened while they in the minors. Dave Dravecky losing an arm, Ugueth Urbina in prison, or Cory Lidle's plane crash don't count. Josh Hamilton would count. Jim Morris retiring then showing up at a tryout camp, Jackson Melian losing his parents, Toe Nash, the Aaron Miles and Morgan Ensberg robbery, or the deaths of Doug Million or Brian Cole WOULD count.

Please post comments or email me at jgperro@yahoo.com. Links would also be appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. I want stories that will interest nonbaseball fans! People who know nothing about baseball besides that it involves a bat and a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to look at Jose Tabata and his wife who turned out to be a fraud. It's a wild story. I think she faked a pregnancy and stole a kid or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Anthony Rizzo (Red Sox) earlier in the year who returned from cancer as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mike! I kinda forgot about Tabata? Wasn't his wife like twice his age too?! I'll have to look that up and the Anthony Rizzo story.

    ReplyDelete